Monday, March 1, 2010

Blessed

In my previous post on living I wrote about how busy and crazy life has been, but I didn't write about how blessed I am, and about the few spiritual growing experiences I have had this past month. 

Chris and I have really tried to be active members in our new branch.  The past year we have been quite mobile and although we attended church we had the mentality that we were only going to be there for a few months and we didn't make alot of extra effort to meet people in the ward and go to church activities.  I will say that in San Francisco we did better than Hawaii. I did my visiting teaching and I had a few friends in the ward I did stuff with, I went to Pilates every week at the church, but that was about it. 

Here in Key West we have really made an effort.  We had the Missionaries over for dinner. I brought dinner to the branch presidents wife who had just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.  We attended the Church pasta dinner and I actually brought I dessert.  I went to the relief society card making social. And I have sub taught the sunbeams.  To most, these things probably seem like pretty small acts but my point is we are really trying to put in the work.  Where as in the past we probably wouldn't have done any of these things.  We have really tried to meet people and start to build relationships with them.

This month has been full of spiritual steps.  The first Sunday we both bore our testimonies and then at relief society I was asked to share a personal experience.   That was a big step because I haven't bore my testimony in sacrament for at least a year if not almost two.  Way to long.

Then the next Sunday Chris and I had to speak in sacrament.  Also a huge step.  I hate public speaking and I always get really nervous and anxiety.  Last time I was asked to speak in sacrament was almost three years ago and I got so nervous I became physically ill and didn't go, so Chris ended up having to talk the entire 40 mintues.  Poor guy.  This time our topic was on Eternal Marriage which is something I actually have a really strong tesimony about and it was easy to tie in the story of how Chris and I met.  I really enjoyed writing and delivering my talk.  I was still nervous but I did pretty well and had several people tell me how much they enjoyed it. 

Then this sunday at church the branch president called us both into his office to extend us callings.  I was thinking I would for sure be put in primary since they had been asking me to sub and I knew they needed help.  I wasn't to worried about this since I had taught primary before and loved it!  Boy was I in for a surprise... he asked me to be the 2nd counselor in the relief society presidency.  Ummm.... I was like really... are you sure.  I mean, I know, I should, be experienced in relief socity by now but I literally feel like I just graduated from young womens.  To say the least I am a little bit intimidated by taking on such a big responsibility, but of course I accepted.  I hope that I will be able to fulfill and uphold my calling.  I know the Lord called me to do this for a reason, and it will be a wonderful growing opportunity.

 As a reflect on all the things that have transpired this past month I feel without a shadow of a doubt that this is where the lord wants us to be, this is want he wants us to be doing, and we have been sent to Key West for a reason.  I feel so blessed! 

Oh and Chris was called to be the 1st counselor in the Elder's Quorum Presidency.

1 comment:

Kiera said...

congrats! you're silly... you will be great in the relief society presidency. you are like a little momma always taking care of everyone. it's perfect for you. however, chris? really? elder's quorom presidency? what was the lord thinking? did his head just grow a little bigger or am i imagining that?

haha kidding :) congrats to you both!