Dear Sister Fife,
Sorry I have been such an unsporting sister and not updating my blog for you! We have had an eventful last few weeks! Three weekends ago I got to go to Orlando for a Time Out For Women Conference! It was awesome! If anyone has the opportunity to go I highly recommend it! I loved it! Such great speakers and music! And such a wonderful much needed break from the everyday mom/maid/housewife, role I play day to day. I drove up with some friends from my ward, a little group of 4, it was so fun and I loved getting to know these women even better than before. Something about road trips and sharing a hotel really bonds people together. I took away some really great messages but the thing that impacted me the most is this: in the Mormon religion there is so much focus on striving to become like our savior who is perfect, which is a good thing. But this can also add a lot of pressure to be perfect, which no one is, since we are all human, so because of this often times it is easy to focus on all our faults and imperfections as humans. When we focus on our faults it makes us feel bad about ourselves and in turn can lead to misery, depression and unhappiness. So instead of trying to be perfect and compare ourselves to everyone else we need to focus on our strengths and areas where we excel and continue to develop those talents and the things that makes us feel of worth and happy. Instead of striving to be perfect we just strive to be our best self. One of the examples that really spoke to me was that no one is a perfect mom, we all make mistakes as moms, but I am the perfect mom for my children, because I am there mom and I love them. Don't you feel that is true about our mom? Our mom isn't perfect either but she is the perfect mom for me and I would never want someone else as my mom. This can be applied to a lot of other aspects in our lives as well. Like missionary work. You may not be a perfect missionary and will make mistakes and have faults, but you are the perfect missionary for the area of Roseville CA and were sent to that area to teach those people for a reason. You know?
Anyway, I got back on a Saturday night, the house was spotless, all the laundry was done, and Ayla was healthy and happy! Chris did good! I think I need to leave a little more often, since it seems to be the best way to get him to help out around here! (wink) Chris had to leave on business to Orlando the following Monday morning. But it was ok cause I was ready to tackle the mom/maid/housewife role again.. He was gone all week. But guess what happened while he was gone? A miracle happened!! Ayla gave up her bottle, completely!! I have been reading her a couple of books for the past few weeks about saying bye bye to bottle, and she really liked the books so we read them about everyday. Anyway one night I was getting her ready for bed with our usual routine and started to fill up her bottle with water and instead she asked for a cup! I was shocked! This is it, I thought, it is happening, she is giving up the bottle. So I put her to bed with a spill proof sippy cup of water that night and she hasn't had a bottle since! Whoot! She has asked for the bottle a couple times since but we just tell her the bottles are all gone and give her a sippy of water and she is fine with it. I had hoped and prayed it would happen like this. I really wanted it to be Ayla's choice to give up the bottle and not something I forced her to do, but I had worried about how long it would take and when and if it would ever happen. What if I ended up with a 5 or 6 year old kid who still drank from a bottle!! Haha, ok maybe not that old but you get my drift. Anyway, it was a small victory moment as a parent where I was like, yes! I am doing ok at this whole mom thing!
Last Friday I drove up with Ayla and Zuri to meet Chris in Orlando! We took Ayla to Disney World on Saturday and Animal Kingdom on Sunday. It was a really fun family weekend!
Ayla got to meet Rapunzel and Snow White, she was being so shy.
We went on several rides. Some of her favorites were this really cool Ariel ride, Its a small world, Winnie the Pooh, and A Jungle Cruise. We also went to a 3D Mickey Show but Ayla wouldn't leave the glasses on so she wasn't impressed. We stayed for the Night Light Parade and Ayla loved that! By then we had been at the Disney Park for 10 hours and I was so beat and ready for bed!
The next day we went to Animal Kingdom.
Tree of Life!
She got to meet Pooh and Tigger! She has been talking about them ever since.
We got to ride a train which she loved that took us to the animal petting farm. Where Ayla got to pet and brush lots of goats and pigs, and a cow. She of course was in heaven.
Highlights of animal kingdom were a a jungle safari ride, a live Nemo show/play (this was awesome), and jungle trail walk to see all the animals.
Chris had to work really long days the rest of the week but we all stayed in Orlando and Ayla and I would hang out at the resort, go the pool and the park and have lots of little lunch and dinner dates at various restaurants just us two! Then we all drove home together Thursday afternoon after Chris finished up work. It was a good week.
This weekend we have been taking it easy and hanging out at home and watching lots of basketball!
We were also able to pre-order Frozen through the Xbox a little bit ago, which Ayla loves and we have been watching that almost everyday for past two weeks. Ayla calls is Feeme.
I hope you are having a fabulous week! I am excited to get your letter this week and love reading about your experiences and insights as a missionary.
I am so proud of you and love you so much little Sis!
No comments:
Post a Comment