We were so lucky to have my mom with us in Grand Cayman for the first 3 1/2 weeks of Ayla's life. It was wonderful to have her here to help us with the transition into parenthood. She helped me take care of myself just as much as she helped me take care of Ayla, making me food, making me go take a nap, cleaning the house, and doing our laundry. The best thing she did was take Ayla into her room at night. She would come and get me when Ayla would wake up to eat and sit with me on the couch while she nursed and then rock her to sleep. It was wonderful! I felt like I was really able to enjoy those first few weeks with my daughter with little stress and was actually able to sleep. Such a huge blessing. Ayla makes lots of little squeaks and noises when she sleeps so Chris and I both were constantly getting up to go peek into her bassinet 100 times a night to make sure she was alright. We slept so much better when we knew she was safe with my mom.
The last week my mom was here I was feeling pretty good and ready to get out of the house. Plus I wanted my mom to be able to enjoy some of the island apart from staying in our lovely apartment all day everyday. So we started doing more outings and getting out of the house. Wow, who knew leaving the house would be so much work. First, we had to change Ayla, then feed her, then change her again, dress her, get ready ourselves, and pack all the crap we needed (Jeez, so much stuff to bring ALL the time) then feed Ayla again, change her again, (this girl goes through SO MANY diapers), feed her some more (she eats ALL the time), and then we could finally leave the house. It is quite the process, one that I definitely don't feel up to tackling on my own yet.
Some of our outings:
We would go for walks on the beach with Ayla in the wrap.
We went for walks around our neighborhood with Ayla in her stroller.
We went to the beach.
My mom had a blast in the ocean, swimming, snorkeling and exploring while Ayla and I would hang out in the shade and sand. Ayla would nurse and sleep and I would read and sleep. We had amazing weather, it was very relaxing and nice to be out in the sun and fresh air. It sure is a process getting out of the house but once we finally get out the door everyone enjoys themselves
(mom snorkeling with the turtles)
Our beach set up typically looked something like this.
Me nursing Ayla
Ayla sleeping.
And of course an outing wouldn't be complete without taking a million pictures of our little angel.
No comments:
Post a Comment