WHAT PROPELS PEOPLE TO STEAL? Seriously, some people are so selfish. Don't they realize how there actions affect other people? I don't get it. Last Friday our apartment was broken into. I didn't write about it in the last post because I want to remember that weekend as being so fun and all the great things we did with people we love so much. Not as the weekend our apartment was broken into and how scared and violated I felt.
If you read the previous post it happened sometime between when we left to go to the movie and when we came home after a late lunch/dinner. So it happened in the middle of the day, sometime between 11-4. The thing that really upsets me is that it is most likely someone who lives in our building. There is 24 hour security guards for our building, everything is locked, you have to have a key to get into the building, and then a seperate key for each apartment. We are on the fourth floor. So my question is why us? Were we the only ones who didn't lock the deadbolt that day.? We keep kicking ourselves about that. Don't get me wrong our door was locked but not the deadbolt. We usually lock it especially at night but because of all the security we didn't feel the need to lock ALL the time. But if we had locked the deadbolt whoever broke in most likely wouldn't have been able to. Stupid, Stupid!
When we discovered the mishap Chris's mom Lisa and Jeff were with us. Chris walked in and the first thing he asked me was if I had my keys and I was like ya they are right here. Well where is my Xbox 360? I told him I didn't know. We both looked at each other like this was supossed to be some kind of joke. Then I realized the laptop was gone. We started to panick. Did someone really break in? We went to exaimine the front door, sure enough there was a big dent in in the door. It looked like someone had used a screwdriver or sometype of really thin knife strong enough to wedge into the door and get the door open. We then began to look if anything else was missing. Sure enough a bunch of Chris's games, a case of about 100 DVDs, a duffle bag (which the person probably used to lug away all our stuff), and our checkbook. Chris went down to the apartment office and talked to the security guards and we called the police. They were pretty quick coming over, they made a report, exaimed the damage, and looked for prints. But other that there really wasn't anything that could be done.
It was a horrible feeling. Knowing someone we didn't know had been in our place, looking through our stuff. I hated the fact that this person had our computer and our checkbook, he knew what we looked like, our names, our bank account and who knows what else. We changed all our passwords to emails and online accounts. We went to our bank and cancelled our account. We tried to think of anything that he could possibly learn and use. There wasn't anything else that could be done, at least not that night so, do we sit at home the rest of the night feeling sorry for ourselves and let it ruin our great weekend. Nope. We had tickets for the basketball game so we still went. Needless to say we always use our deadbolt and will not be making that mistake again.
1 comment:
Your apartment building is just full of a bunch of dirty theives and dishonest people. Get out quick! I think you should've stayed home and felt sorry for yourself... that's what I wanted to do except you wouldn't let me. But don't worry I'm still kicking myself too!
Post a Comment