This past week we have been celebrating here in the Cayman Islands. Pirates Week is here. It is a much bigger deal than Halloween and Thanksgiving combined.
It is the Celebration of Cayman's Heritage.
The festivities started last Friday night. They closed off several of the streets in town for some big street festivities. There were different stages set up on every corner with a variety of competitions. We watched one competition for the best dressed pirate for ages 5 and under. It was so adorable! There were lots of different bands and music playing and people dancing in the streets. People were cooking and selling all kinds of food on the street. Chris and I got some Pad Thai and Sweet and Sour Chicken which was delicious. Then we had fresh, hot, homemade donuts with sugar dipped in chocolate sauce. It was like heaven in my mouth!!! So amazing!! And of course there were lots of people dressed up like pirates!
Friday night there was also an awesome firework show. Seriously, I was so impressed, it was great. Something about watching fireworks over the ocean just makes them that much more magical.
On Saturday there was a pirate reenactment, which we missed. :( Hopefully, we will get to go to that next year. We did make it to see the big parade! The streets were so crowded. Toward the end of the parade we got smart and went upstairs for a better view.
This whole week there were little things going on in the different towns on the island. Monday, was Remembrance Day which is another public holiday they celebrate here. Instead of Labor Day on Friday like in the states we have Remembrance the following Monday. So Chris and I had a nice 3 day weekend. We went up to the Ritz Carlton for the day and hung out using there luscious facilities. Tuesday, there was another street festival on Cardinal Ave. so we headed down there on our lunch break to get some lunch and sign up to win a free car! Hopefully, we win!!
Then Wednesday and Thursday I stayed home from work sick with a mean cold. Being sick and pregnant really is the most miserable combination I can think of. I guess my body can't handle all this pirates week partying and I need to take it easy. I am feeling much better now and was able to go to work on Friday. Friday we also had our 30 week appointment! Baby is healthy and growing right on track. I got my glucose and hemoglobin test results back and they were both normal. Baby is in good position head down and sitting pretty low. So far we have blessed with a very normal and healthy pregnancy and pray it continues for these last 10 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment