Monday, (May 21) was a holiday in Grand Cayman. It was Discovery Day, a day which commemorates when Columbus discovered the Cayman Islands in the year 1503. Similar to Columbus day in America. This means that Ayla and I enjoyed a 3 day weekend home with Dad. Whoop! Whoop! Sadly, and a total major bummer, the entire weekend was a torrential downpour. Monday was the worst day of all. News said we got over 8 inches of rain on Monday alone. And BONUS this heavy rain ain't looking like it's goin stop till Wednesday evening. Whomp! Whomp! I am going a bit stir crazy here.
Anywho... on April 30st exactly 3 weeks prior to May 21st I decided I need to get my hiney in gear and start working out. Running was my workout of choice, and to be perfectly honest I sorta really hate running and always have. But I chose running for a couple reasons 1. It is convenient. Step out the door and go. No driving to a gym. No scheduled class at a specific time. 2. It is free. When I first started I couldn't even run 1 mile with out taking walking breaks. I felt like I was starting at ground zero, and it was tough. I needed a goal, something to work towards. That is when I found out there was a 5k race on the 21st. I found a beginner 5K training program, uploaded some new tunes on my ipod, and began. My goal was to be able to run the 5K (3.1miles) continuously without walking on May 21st. I wasn't concerned with time this go round, just finishing. I was able to stick to my training program throughout the 3 weeks and when the 21st came around, I was feeling good. Well like I said earlier it was pouring rain on Monday. Boo!! The race was postponed 30 mins to see if it would let up any and was almost cancelled. I would say majority of the participates that stuck around were the more serious runners. Lots of people left when the race was announced to be postponed. I probably would have chickened out too but I had already ran in the rain a couple times prior, including the Saturday before the race, and I have discovered it can actually be kind of nice, I think this for a couple reasons. 1. It isn't as hot. 2. You don't notice how much you are sweating because you are just wet everywhere. As long as you have a hat to keep the rain out of your eyes, it can be kind of enjoyable.
The Hubs and Baby came to support me and stayed to watch in the comfy dry car. I am happy to report I completed my goal and was able to run the whole way without walking. Whoot!
Check out these next pics. These will give you a better idea of how much water 8 inches is. Crazy!! The streets were literally flooded. This can't be good for ones vehicle.
They even cancelled school today (Tuesday) because of all the flooding. Talk about a tropical rainstorm. We may not get snow days in this part of the world but we get rainy days.
And no post would be complete with a few pics. of this colorful princess.
Love this baby boo bug!
I have started calling her my squishy squish. Everytime I hug her I say "Squish." There is a lot of squishing going on around here.
Hope the rain stops soon. It is really putting a damper in my day.


1 comment:
Way to go Aubs!! So proud of you! And even in the rain!
Post a Comment