Tuesday, September 6, 2011

So Vain



Several days ago I was talking with a good friend via facebook chat.   I was complaining about all the discomforts of pregnancy.  New discomforts being: 

1. Occasional heartburn.  This may seem odd but I have never before in my life experienced heartburn, and I sympathize with those who have to deal with it frequently as I have discovered it to be most unpleasant.   I have read this can be a common symptom in pregnancy and I know all the delicious spicy foods I have been consuming are no help.   I think I am replacing my soda addiction with hot sauce.   I love spice and flavor on my food.  I put hot sauce on everything, eggs, pizza, stir-fry, quesadillas, chicken wings.  Yum.  


2.  Sinuses   The last few weeks, I have been constantly sneezing, with itchy watery eyes, and an itchy, itchy nose.  I will grab a rough towel and rub my nose with it to satisfy the itch.  I told Chris,” I think I am having allergies.”  I have never had allergies before, and I thought it was weird I would start having them here and now.   I resorted to my trusty pregnancy bible; Great Expectations:  Your All-in-One Resource for Pregnancy and Childbrith by Sandy and Marcie Jones.  This book is amazing; and guess what sinuses are a common symptom in pregnancy.   When you’re pregnant your body makes more mucus to defend itself against allergens and germs.  Resulting is sinuses.  


 3.  This one might be considered TMI for some, so if that is you stop reading now.  The third discomfort I have experience is the worst so far, sometimes to the point of unbearable, it’s the fire-burning itchy nipples.   Sadly this is just another common discomfort of being pregnant.    Then there is the fact that some days I just feel downright ugly and fat,  my wardrobe is starting to get smaller as there are less and less items in my closet that will fit me as the weeks progress.   So here I am complaining to my dear friend, whom I love with all my heart, and she relates well as she has already experienced it, and as a result has a beautiful little boy. 

 Well guess what song comes on the radio, Your So Vain by Carly Simon.   Ha ha.  I started laughing out loud right then and there.  How ironic?  I realized that this whole pregnancy really isn't about me.  Yes it affects me, but this is really about God’s plan.  This is about nurturing and developing my unborn child.  All these discomforts are preparing me for the self-less role of motherhood.  From now on my life will be forever changed to sacrificing my own wants and needs for the wants and needs of my child.   And to be honest I couldn't be happier about it.  I want with all my heart to be the best mother I can be.   Who cares if I have heartburn, sinus’s, itchy nipples, and a fat belly if it means that I will be able to be provide a safe and protected home for my child to grow and develop.  I truly mean that from the bottom of heart.  My love for this baby grows with each passing day and I look forward to when I will finally be able to meet my little babe and hold him/her in my arms.  Hopefully that day won’t be sooner than him/her is good and ready.  


.
I hope you enjoyed this funny video I found on youtube, for your amusement.  I got a good laugh out of it.    

2 comments:

Erin said...

You're so funny! I have to admit...I've never experienced the itchy nipple thing. lol. But it's true - all to bring that beautiful little baby into this world and you'll forget all about those icky prego things you so much dislike once that little guy/gal is here. Speaking of, when do you find out what you're having?! Should be soon! I miss you sooooo much and feel like I'm missing out on EVERYTHING that I should know about. I hate that we can't have our weekly conversations that kept us so close all the time. You should get one of those special vonage phones or something like that. Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about with phones and overseas, but I thought it sounded smart. Love you!

kiera said...

Speaking of all this prego biz... I wanna see a pic of your cute baby bump! I still can't get over how excited I am that you will have a baby soon!! And I second Erin. I am anxiously waiting to hear what it is