This morning I went in for a routine 35 week blood test to check my iron levels and all that. I really hate getting my blood drawn. It usually makes me feel a little light headed afterwards, something about needles, makes my stomach queasy. You would think I would be pretty used it by now, since it is fairly routine with pregnancy. I know I need to eat before and that a ginger candy or soda afterwards usually does the trick. I made it through my glucose test just fine. I think I took that at around 26 weeks. With the glucose test you have your blood drawn after you have been fasting for at least 12 hours, drink a nasty sugary drink, wait an hour and have your blood taken again. I thought it sounded pretty brutal but the sugary drink actually made me feel better not worse. Today I wasn't even nervous about getting my blood drawn, like I usually am, I had a large bowl of cheerios for breakfast and was ready to be in and out and off to work. I have gotten to know the guy at the lab really well. He knows I get kinda worked up about this sort of thing and he is always really nice. Plus he is super fast and it doesn't even hurt, to be honest I can barely feel it.
He calls me in and starts to prep me. He wraps a tight band around my arm and a start squeezing a rubber ball, but I immediately start to feel a little bit light headed. He asks if I am ok, and I tell him I am feeling a little bit light headed. He immediately releases the band from my warm and helps me walk over to a chair that reclines, puts my feet up, and gets me some water. He tells me to relax and tell him when I am ready. A few minutes later I feel fine and tell him I am ready. He draws my blood, done, easy, I am fine. He tells me to sit there for a few minutes to make sure I am ok. Well after about 90 seconds of sitting there I start to feel really bad, I start sweating, my vision goes blurry, I feel like I am going to faint or vomit or both. I ask for some alcohol swaps to wave in front my nose help me come around, but it wasn't working, at this point I don't know what to do and I start to feel really out of it, I am pretty sure I was moaning and breathing hard, and I remember leaning over the chair and vomiting on the floor. Then I pass out for a few seconds. When I wake up there is vomit all over the front of my dress I don't remember vomiting on myself. That is attractive. I lean over and vomit one more time on the floor. I remember when I woke up saying to the nice guy that drew my blood how much better I felt. He looked at me and smiled but I could tell he was worried and there was no way he was letting me go home. By this point Chris came in and he just stared at me like "what in the world just happened in here." I looked down at my dress and said, "I puked on myself." He replied, "I can see that." There were several people all around me with paper towels trying to help me clean myself up and wipe up the floor. The nice man that drew my blood, I wish I remembered his name, started telling us that a wheel chair was coming and they wanted to take me over to the emergency room for observation. He draped his lab coat over me to cover up the vomit and wheeled me over. I am so glad Chris was there. All of the other times I have gone to get my blood drawn I went by myself since Chris had to work. For some reason this time it worked out that Chris was able to come with me and after everything that happened there was no way he was going to leave. Once they checked me into the emergency room Chris called both our works to explain what happened and that we would both be late coming into work that day. We met with the doctor, they checked my blood pressure several times both laying down and standing up, took a urine sample, got the test results back from my blood work. Everything was fine, my iron levels were normal, everything was normal. After about an hour they let me go, but with strict instructions not to go to work, drive, or go shopping. I was only supposed to go home and rest and take it easy. So that is what I have done. I am feeling fine now. They said it was most likely just a weird reaction to having my blood drawn since I don't handle that very well heighten by being so far along with the pregnancy.
It was totally embarrassing having to walk around the hospital and out to the car with my vomit all down the front of my dress. Add another embarrassing moment to the box. I am getting quite the collection of those.
It was totally embarrassing having to walk around the hospital and out to the car with my vomit all down the front of my dress. Add another embarrassing moment to the box. I am getting quite the collection of those.
The whole experience was a little bit scary and made me realize how unprepared we are if I were to suddenly go into labor. I haven't even packed yet! So those are some thing I will need to start working on ASAP. We have our next appointment with our OBGYN on Wednesday for our 36 week appointment. I plan to go to work tomorrow but am so thankful for a nice four day holiday weekend and plan to rest as much as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment