Friday, October 5, 2012

Coincidence... I think not.

The past Saturday evening I attended a baptism and welcomed a new sister into the relief society.  One of the many things I love about being in a place where the church is less prominent is the opportunity to see so many people have a true change of heart as they except the gospel into their lives.  Being able to attend so many baptisms as they seem to happen almost every month, I am reminded of my own baptismal covenants.  I love being able to witness baptism. To be able to be baptized and have all our sins washed away and forgotten.  To become new. To be cleaned.  It is truly an amazing ordinance.
As part of my welcoming the new sister into relief society I shared this poem and gift.
 (I got the poem and idea online at Sugardoodle.net)

When you decide to join us, we'll be glad to welcome you,
into our WORLDWIDE SISTERHOOD and to a group that's  new.
So here's a little something to help you on your way,
as you head off for Relief Society and to a brand new day.
You'll need a lesson manual with precious truths inside,
The lessons strengthen testimonies as they are taught worldwide.
Now when you find the meeting great and not a bit absurd,
Just use the pad and pencil to write down every word.
The tissues are for wiping tears when lessons touch your heart,
and we know you will love them all, right from the very start!
Here's a highlighter for your scriptures, please bring them every week,
we'll study them together, as guidance we will seek.
You'll benefit if you will "CHEWS" to mingle with your sisters,
by attending Enrichment meetings, you'll gain more than hot glue gun blisters.
And last, an invitation in which every word rings true,
Cause you should know that Relief Society has a special place for YOU!
Gift: Lesson Manuel, pad of paper, pen, highlighter, tissues, gum

After the baptism we had a light dinner and then the sisters stayed around for the annual General Relief Society Broadcast.  Which we all watched together at the church. 
Wow!  It was so good.  I related to President Linda K Burton as she spoke about the overwhelming feeling she had when she was extended the calling but she knew she was called of God.  I can not even imagine the responsibility, commitment, pressure, anxiety, and blessings that would come with being the General Relief Society President.  I thought back to similar feelings I had when I was called to be the Relief Society President here in Grand Cayman.  I was so overwhelmed.  Unsure of how I was going to be able to do all that would be required of me.  Plus I was pregnant with my first child and scared of the sacrifice, time, and effort I would need to be able to dedicate to my new calling as a mother. How would I be able to do both simultaneously and find a balance?   Now almost a year later, I think I am starting to figure it out.  I still feel overwhelmed at times. There are times when I feel inadequate and wonder if someone else would be better for the job.  It is a calling where the work never ends and there is always more that can be done.  At times it seems insurmountable and I want to give up or do nothing.  I am the type of person that likes to have a finish line, or to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  But I try to find a balance and just do what I can.  I need to remember that God is with me, helping me along the way and that I have been prepared for this.  I believe that callings help to prepare us for other things in life.  Sometimes our callings prepare us for other callings.  When we lived in Key West I was called to be the 2nd counselor in the Relief Society.  Wow.  I was nervous.  I remember when it was my month to conduct, I had to write out everything I needed to speak about and the order in which they needed to be announced so I wouldn't forget. I remember leading the songs (in a small branch like ours there aren't enough people to fill all the callings so we didn't have a person to conduct the music or even someone to play the music.) So we sing a capella, and I lead.  I was so nervous I would go to try to sit down after every verse.  Forgetting we were singing ALL the versus.  I think about all those things and I realize how much I have grown.  I am so much more comfortable and confident.  I can stand in front of my sisters and speak to them without any notes in my hand.  I get up and bare my testimony on a regular basis.  I speak in sacrament and teach in relief society. I know my brothers and sisters in the branch and can call them by name. I know that I was called to be the 2nd counselor in the Relief Society in Key West to prepare me to be able to be the Relief Society President here in Grand Cayman.  My calling here is another one of the many reasons I feel so strongly that my family and I were sent here by the Lord.  I strongly feel that God has been sending us to all these wonderful beautiful places to be his instruments and fulfill these callings and to learn and grow in spirit.  These life experiences over the last few years have strengthened our marriage as we have had to rely solely on each other.  Even though it is difficult to be away from our families we love so much.  I can not ignore the overwhelming feeling that this is right and we are right where we need to be at this time in our lives.  We have had to make our home wherever we are, and I know as long as we are together we can be anywhere and be home.  

I am full of gratitude for my savior and feel his presence in my life.  I am excited to watch General Conference this weekend and hope to do all that I can to prepare myself for the messages that I will hear.  I hope to I will be able to apply them to my life and continue to make improvements on my very imperfect self.    










No comments: